Tonight my son and I saw the first fireflies of Summer hovering over the lawn!!!!! I caught one and showed him how it glowed in my hand. He was pretty thrilled. Even at my age I'm still thrilled.
Hobo Jungle
Hev had mentioned something about the asbestos insulation being a problem with the restoration of these locomotives.
Tonight my son and I saw the first fireflies of Summer hovering over the lawn!!!!! I caught one and showed him how it glowed in my hand. He was pretty thrilled. Even at my age I'm still thrilled.
Tonight my son and I saw the first fireflies of Summer hovering over the lawn!!!!! I caught one and showed him how it glowed in my hand. He was pretty thrilled. Even at my age I'm still thrilled.
highrailjon wrote:Hev swears there was never a cover over those rivets. If that's so we're sure as tootin' getting ripped off as far as detail on our models!!!!
Only if the model is supposed to represent the jacketless engine on display. When in operation it looked like this...
Reference: http://members.aol.com/vlcondon/train10.htm[/img]
Sorry to hear about your motherinlaw.
----Wayne----
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard
Lightning Bugs are the same as Fireflies. They are members of a particular family of the Beetle Order. The Firefly Family is technically known as the Lampyridae.
Careful...
It's spelled lightning, not lightening...
Lightning Bugs are beetles. They can't be "flies" as their name suggests, since "flies" are members of the Fly Order. Glow-worms, which produce light similar to Lightning Bugs', also are beetles, but they belong to a different, though closely related, family, the Phengodidae. There are many Lightning Bug species.
Careful...
It's spelled lightning, not lightening...
Lightning Bugs are beetles. They can't be "flies" as their name suggests, since "flies" are members of the Fly Order. Glow-worms, which produce light similar to Lightning Bugs', also are beetles, but they belong to a different, though closely related, family, the Phengodidae. There are many Lightning Bug species.
- penncentral8885
- Posts: 3012
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
- Location: Indiana
Tramp,,,,,,,,,bugoligest,,,,,,,,firefly,, lightning bug extrodanare

http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
Penn, I've placed a firefly in all four of my novels. I'm a bit nuts about those fellows. I've gone on massive drunks over the joy of spotting one. Once on seeing what might have been a thousand, I thought I was going to die from sheer awe.
From one book:
He brought his head up. Out past the glare of the porte-cochere bulb, there was a single firefly pulsing in the bushes. It was probably searching for a mate, sending out its feeble light—love me, love me, love me. Jesus, the stupid bastord. “It’s over,” he said.
“Why? Claire has a good heart. I can see it in a person’s eyes. I saw it in yours that first day we met.”
“You did?”
“Why else would I have allowed you to live in my home?”
He glanced at her.
“There’s more to it than just money, Robert. Remember, I lived without taking in a boarder for my whole life.”
The firefly was heading for the heavens now. What did it expect to find up there? “You don’t think we’re wrong for each other?”
From one book:
He brought his head up. Out past the glare of the porte-cochere bulb, there was a single firefly pulsing in the bushes. It was probably searching for a mate, sending out its feeble light—love me, love me, love me. Jesus, the stupid bastord. “It’s over,” he said.
“Why? Claire has a good heart. I can see it in a person’s eyes. I saw it in yours that first day we met.”
“You did?”
“Why else would I have allowed you to live in my home?”
He glanced at her.
“There’s more to it than just money, Robert. Remember, I lived without taking in a boarder for my whole life.”
The firefly was heading for the heavens now. What did it expect to find up there? “You don’t think we’re wrong for each other?”
- penncentral8885
- Posts: 3012
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
- Location: Indiana
Yes! The fire fly has truly brought many a child great joy, I use to sit on an old wooden railroad overpass and enjoy some nice tunes and a cold beer or two or three and watch and wounder about the fireflies.
This is the same bridge that I proposed to my wife.
as you sat on this bridge you could not only see alot of railroad action but it faced the southwest (depending on where you sat) and I've watched many a storm approch the town from way out!,,,really cool place!
This is the same bridge that I proposed to my wife.
as you sat on this bridge you could not only see alot of railroad action but it faced the southwest (depending on where you sat) and I've watched many a storm approch the town from way out!,,,really cool place!
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
-
Frank53
- penncentral8885
- Posts: 3012
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
- Location: Indiana
Hev,,,no,,,she was laughing so hard at the question I don't think she thought of that.
And Yes, I do have some pictures of it,when I find them I will post!
And Yes, I do have some pictures of it,when I find them I will post!
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976
"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss
Return to “The Club Car Lounge”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests
