Hobo Jungle

Play nice and have fun... AS OF JULY 12 2025, THIS FORUM IS LOCKED.
User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Postby 2railjon » Mon May 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Hev had mentioned something about the asbestos insulation being a problem with the restoration of these locomotives.


Tonight my son and I saw the first fireflies of Summer hovering over the lawn!!!!! I caught one and showed him how it glowed in my hand. He was pretty thrilled. Even at my age I'm still thrilled. :wink:

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Postby rogruth » Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Sounds as if you are doing the right things Jon. :)
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

User avatar
Tramp
Posts: 4735
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Down East
Contact:

Postby Tramp » Mon May 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Firefly? Jacket missing. Lightning Bug? Jacket missing.

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Postby 2railjon » Mon May 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Hmmmm. Ya got me thinking. I guess I meant to say lightening bug. Is there a difference between a lightening bug and a firefly? Oh well. Funeral tomorrow, my wife's Aunt passed away over the weekend. Fun 90 year old lady to be around. She'll be missed.

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Postby webenda » Mon May 29, 2006 10:43 pm

highrailjon wrote:Hev swears there was never a cover over those rivets. If that's so we're sure as tootin' getting ripped off as far as detail on our models!!!!


Only if the model is supposed to represent the jacketless engine on display. When in operation it looked like this...
Image
Reference: http://members.aol.com/vlcondon/train10.htm[/img]

Sorry to hear about your motherinlaw. :cry:
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
Tramp
Posts: 4735
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Down East
Contact:

Postby Tramp » Mon May 29, 2006 10:45 pm

Lightning Bugs are the same as Fireflies. They are members of a particular family of the Beetle Order. The Firefly Family is technically known as the Lampyridae.

Careful...
It's spelled lightning, not lightening...

Lightning Bugs are beetles. They can't be "flies" as their name suggests, since "flies" are members of the Fly Order. Glow-worms, which produce light similar to Lightning Bugs', also are beetles, but they belong to a different, though closely related, family, the Phengodidae. There are many Lightning Bug species.

User avatar
hev52
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Hev's Island

Postby hev52 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 pm

I was wrong Jon about those rivets showing. (Guess I had to much Growler)........ :lol: :lol:

Here it is with the covers on and a lot of bird poop also...... :o :o

Image


hev 8)

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Postby 2railjon » Tue May 30, 2006 9:36 am

Well, At least the mystery has been solved!!! Now we can get back to beer-drinking and discussing the Secret Order of the Fly. :D

User avatar
penncentral8885
Posts: 3012
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby penncentral8885 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Tramp,,,,,,,,,bugoligest,,,,,,,,firefly,, lightning bug extrodanare :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/

Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976

"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss

User avatar
Tramp
Posts: 4735
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 pm
Location: Down East
Contact:

Postby Tramp » Tue May 30, 2006 3:58 pm

Penn, I've placed a firefly in all four of my novels. I'm a bit nuts about those fellows. I've gone on massive drunks over the joy of spotting one. Once on seeing what might have been a thousand, I thought I was going to die from sheer awe.

From one book:

He brought his head up. Out past the glare of the porte-cochere bulb, there was a single firefly pulsing in the bushes. It was probably searching for a mate, sending out its feeble light—love me, love me, love me. Jesus, the stupid bastord. “It’s over,” he said.
“Why? Claire has a good heart. I can see it in a person’s eyes. I saw it in yours that first day we met.”
“You did?”
“Why else would I have allowed you to live in my home?”
He glanced at her.
“There’s more to it than just money, Robert. Remember, I lived without taking in a boarder for my whole life.”
The firefly was heading for the heavens now. What did it expect to find up there? “You don’t think we’re wrong for each other?”

User avatar
penncentral8885
Posts: 3012
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby penncentral8885 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:31 pm

Yes! The fire fly has truly brought many a child great joy, I use to sit on an old wooden railroad overpass and enjoy some nice tunes and a cold beer or two or three and watch and wounder about the fireflies.
This is the same bridge that I proposed to my wife.
as you sat on this bridge you could not only see alot of railroad action but it faced the southwest (depending on where you sat) and I've watched many a storm approch the town from way out!,,,really cool place!
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/

Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976

"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss

User avatar
hev52
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Hev's Island

Postby hev52 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Penn.......Ya got any pictures of that bridge? Wasn't it a little risky proposing on a railroad bridge? She could a chucked your *** off
the bridge man....... :lol: :lol:

hev 8)

Frank53

Postby Frank53 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:33 pm

hev52 wrote:Penn.......Ya got any pictures of that bridge? Wasn't it a little risky proposing on a railroad bridge? She could a chucked your *** off
the bridge man....... :lol: :lol:

hev 8)


Nobody ever threw Bogie off a bridge. 8)

User avatar
penncentral8885
Posts: 3012
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby penncentral8885 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Hev,,,no,,,she was laughing so hard at the question I don't think she thought of that.
And Yes, I do have some pictures of it,when I find them I will post!
http://www.indianarailwaymuseum.org/

Turn to the dark side!,,,,Penn Central 1968-1976

"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.",,,,,Dr. Seuss

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Postby webenda » Wed May 31, 2006 1:28 am

porte-cochere... porte-cochere... porte-cochere...

It is so picturesque in French.

carriage porch... blah!

Does nothing for me in English.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard


Return to “The Club Car Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 124 guests