Panhandle Year (2021) in Review

All Facets of O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading
G3750

Panhandle Year (2021) in Review

Postby G3750 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:51 am

January 1, 2022

It's time to reflect on the year's progress towards the completion of the PRR Panhandle Division. I find myself surprised at what's been accomplished (and what still remains). Here's the list (in rough chronological order):

• Arranged to have the very complicated windows for the Steubenville PRR passenger station 3D printed. This was beautifully done by a friend on the OGR forum. They await the start of this project later in the year.
  • Another friend designed a very complicated circuit for me that runs the interlocking where the west end of the Weirton Steel Yard meets the westbound mainline.
  • A third friend 3D printed some signal number placards for me.
  • I implemented 3 Switch Buses using a separate DZ-2001 Data Wire Driver for each. SW Bus #1 handles 13 switch machines. SW Bus #2 controls 20. SW Bus #3 operates 13. Based on some guidance from another source, I segregated DZ-2500 switch machines in groups of 2-4 within each Switch Bus for debugging purposes. Slide switches control the transmission of data signals to each group.
  • Completed the construction, track laying, and wiring of all switches in the Staging Area. Installed a mini-control panel for the use of the Staging Area Operator.
  • Revised the plan for the Steubenville PRR station area to address the landscape at Highland & Superior as well as the dummy Panhandle tunnel, the crossing gates, and Market Street.
  • Revised 6th, 5th, and 4th Streets as dictated by my increased understanding of what is actually possible in this space. This includes Market Street and the buildings in downtown Steubenville.
  • Acquired 3 HO Albion Catalog Houses which were kindly constructed by my friend Price Bradshaw.
  • Constructed a cat gate that prevents Maggie (the cat) from invading the train room and destroying scenery.
  • Completed the scenery around the Stone Arch area of the layout. Installed the conduit across the face of the arch.
  • Acquired the new Lionel PRR E-7AAs to pull the Spirit of St. Louis. Yet another friend helped me program them and several other lash-ups. My list of locomotives and their TMCC programming has been updated.
  • Acquired a new (to me) Lionel Alco S-2 that I had painted in Weirton Steel colors. Had a new smokestack 3D printed for it. #207 now joins its stable-mate in steel mill service.
  • Painted, decaled, and weathered a Weaver Northeastern caboose into WSX #4. This will serve on slag trains.
  • Installed PRR hairpin railing on both the eastern and western deck truss approach spans.
  • Completed the wiring of all push-buttons controlling switches near the East End interlocking and installed them into the fascia.
  • Installed scenery for the Eastern Approach section of the layout, including the backwater in front of the Stone Arch. Also ballasted the track for this section.
  • Reworked the configuration and spacing of Weirton Junction Yard, allowing the addition of 2 more yard tracks.
  • Constructed mock-ups of the mill buildings. Did a test fit of them and access hatches in the Weirton Steel Yard area.
  • Acquired a yard office for the WSX Yard.
  • Completed the "H" line pole fixture and installed it just before the bridge.
  • Acquired and installed a 12" exhaust fan in the divider between the layout and the Staging Area. Designed, constructed, and installed duct work that draws smoke from the train room and exhausts it out the basement window. Tested the operation.
  • Acquired PVC pipe for the smokestacks of the Open Hearth mill.
  • Acquired a large smoke generator and 12VDC power supply. Tested the set-up and successfully generated large volumes of smoke which the ventilation system handled correctly.

It's been quite a year. I very much appreciate the help and ideas I get on this forum. I am looking forward to an even more productive 2022.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

healey36

Re: Panhandle Year (2021) in Review

Postby healey36 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:34 am

That's quite a list; if I'd accomplished a third of that I'd be running around the basement hooting and hollering.

I do need to develop and install some sort of bus power distribution for my small layout. Power for the lighting, accessories, and to some extent track power, is a hodge-podge. It's relatively simple, neat, and tidy, but increasingly dysfunctional. I need to sort that out, but getting around under the layout is a drag due to the number of things stored there.

G3750

Re: Panhandle Year (2021) in Review

Postby G3750 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:47 pm

Yeah, that could be a problem. I think if you are able to clear everything out and put in the bus, you can get your storage back.

I am periodically moving things around as wiring takes place.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 3-Rail, Model Railroading”