Message from MK

Play nice and have fun...
rogruth

Re: Message from MK

Postby rogruth » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

I must say my question has generated much more activity than I expected.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 pm

rogruth wrote:My general policy has been to delete but as I first said I don't want to cut somebody off.
Now I will definitely and confidently delete.

MYmoo,
Can you explain what the "hard delete" you mentioned near the top does?

Roger,
It BYpasses the Recycle Bin /Trash Folder.
Do not Pass GO, Do not visit the Recycle Bin.
Do not hang around on my Box lying in wait to do your dirty deeds.

Adding SHIFT plus DELETE makes the DELETE button on your Keyboard
work the same way in WinDose as it did in the Days of DOS.
(See message below to Murph.)
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:50 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
MYmoo wrote:
rogruth wrote:,,,,
If anybody has any suggestions let me know. My thoughts right now is to erase it.

Roger,
If I received such a message, my first order of business would be a hard delete.
that is, hold down the shift key while pressing the delete button.
(Added --> (...AFTER hightlighting the message/text.))

Does "while" mean simultaneously, both pressed initially at the same moment, to begin with, or do we first press down the Shift key; then, next, press the Delete button, then holding both down simultaneously?

Murph,
Whatever works for you. Simultaneous, or, Shift first, add Delete, AFTER hightlighting the message/text.)

Your email program, browser, and Operating System may provide additional, alternate ways. Consult their documentation for details.

The steps above will work, however, with most systems (?).
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Roger: Erase?
MYmoo: Hard delete
Roy: Delete
webenda: Open
Murph: Delete
Wolf: Delete
Rufus: Delete

I am out numbered 5:1.

Bunch of Image Where is your sense of adventure? Apparently, not everyone loves a mystery. Solving the mystery of what just happened to your computer and recovering from it is part of having fun with computers. It is kinda like owning an old British sports car.

rogruth wrote:I can't afford a "ransom".

Ransomware is boring. If you get locked out of your computer by ransomware, recover your system and reload your important stuff from your back-up.

Click on this to see how Locky Ransomware works: https://youtu.be/9mkptCXjMbw
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Ransomware was not boring when it was new. This is the notice I saw the first time I met ransomware.

Imagekovterransomware by Wayne Benda, on Flickr

It has seals of Department of Justice, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Investigation... serious stuff. I was in shock until I read that I should go to Kmart and get a MoneyPak (pay for it with cash) and then send the MoneyPak code to them. At that point, I about fell out of my chair laughing. Thay got me good with their joke.

They managed to lock my computer but all it took was a hard shutdown and reboot to recover.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 am

webenda wrote:Ransomware is boring. If you get locked out of your computer by ransomware, recover your system and reload your important stuff from your back-up.

No everything is easily recoverable and some software is not easily re-installed since it's licensed; reinstalling frequently requires a new license now and that's money.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 am

What's the difference between Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode ? Please.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:53 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:What's the difference between Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode ? Please.

Airplane mode on my Kindle Fire disables the Wi-Fi connectivity from being active. Everything that does not require a WiFi or internet connection continues to be functional and available.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:Ransomware is boring. If you get locked out of your computer by ransomware, recover your system and reload your important stuff from your back-up.

reinstalling frequently requires a new license now and that's money.

And sometimes a change to a monthly fee instead of a one-time purchase fee. :evil:
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 am

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

reinstalling frequently requires a new license now and that's money.

And sometimes a change to a monthly fee instead of a one-time purchase fee. :evil:

That's the future of OS's and software - monthly rentals.

I ran into this a few years back when I was forced to a Win 7 upgrade and the versions of software I had in hand would no longer install and run. New versions were many thousands to buy, but yearly licenses were available and they were not a bargain either.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 am

webenda wrote:
They managed to lock my computer but all it took was a hard shutdown and reboot to recover.

What is a "HARD SHUTDOWN" ??

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:21 am

HONDO74 wrote:
webenda wrote:

What is a "HARD SHUTDOWN" ??

Used to be what one did by holding the start button down until the entire computer crashed out; hard on drives and power supplies, but at times only recourse available.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:What's the difference between Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode ? Please.

Airplane mode on my Kindle Fire disables the Wi-Fi connectivity from being active. Everything that does not require a WiFi or internet connection continues to be functional and available.

That's quite helpful, Rufus, Thank You.
The reason I asked the question was that I have a Verizon "Elipsis Jet Pack" device, which is what I activate (if that's the correct word) each time I want to reach Yahoo, for my mail and internet connections, like MTJ.

However, recently, the little icon shaped like an airplane that I usually click on keeps sayin "No internet connection" when I click on it. SO, having noticed the Wi-Fi icon right next to the Airplane, I clicked on it, and it displayed the usual array vertically along the right side of my screen and showed I was connected to the internet at the top, at "Elipsis". But each time I try to go back to the Airplane, I get the "No internet connection".

Oi-vey.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

The reason I asked the question was that I have a Verizon "Elipsis Jet Pack" device, which is what I activate (if that's the correct word) each time I want to reach Yahoo, for my mail and internet connections, like MTJ.

However, recently, the little icon shaped like an airplane that I usually click on keeps sayin "No internet connection" when I click on it. SO, having noticed the Wi-Fi icon right next to the Airplane, I clicked on it, and it dxisplayed the usual array vertically along the right side of my screen and showed I was connected to the internet. But each time I try to go back to the Airplane, I get the "No internet connection".

Oi-vey.

Part of the problem may reside with Verizon. :(

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

However, recently, the little icon shaped like an airplane that I usually click on keeps sayin "No internet connection" when I click on it. SO, having noticed the Wi-Fi icon right next to the Airplane, I clicked on it, and it dxisplayed the usual array vertically along the right side of my screen and showed I was connected to the internet. But each time I try to go back to the Airplane, I get the "No internet connection".

Oi-vey.

Part of the problem may reside with Verizon. :(

OK. That helps. Maybe I'll pay their nearby store a visit, sometime this week. Thanks again!

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”