Why.

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Why.

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
webenda wrote:Kim Kardashian is a marketing genius. And what she markets is herself.

By that metric, she's ready for the White House, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, and her hair-do would certainly be an improvement!

She'll need a wider chair, too.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
By that metric, she's ready for the White House, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, and her hair-do would certainly be an improvement!

She'll need a wider chair, too.

Maybe. The present one appears to be growing. (A suit coat can only hide so much. [Take it from me]. :oops: )

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:For example (all of which will "date" me), Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly;

You are fantasizing again Murph. In Sophia Loren's autobiography, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life as a Fairy Tale, she never even mentions you.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 pm

She can take a punch and keep on licking.
Paris Hilton. Famous for her grandfather's hotel chain or famous for being filmed while chained in a hotel?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Maybe it's all been done before anyway....

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

webenda wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:For example (all of which will "date" me), Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly;

You are fantasizing again Murph. In Sophia Loren's autobiography, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life as a Fairy Tale, she never even mentions you.

Well, uh, ER, you got me there, good ol' Wayne. I liked her even as a boy. Plus, I had an aunt who looked a lot like her , but maybe it's time to shut up..... :mrgreen: :shock: :?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm

You might be blaming the wrong people about this. It was the mother "Kris Jenner" that pimped them all out, including herself :mrgreen: They left Bruce (I mean Caitlyn Marie Jenner) behind. But he fixed that. He became a women. :roll:

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Why?

Why can't subway car doors open back up when they close on a passenger... like elevator doors?

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 am

Good question, no doubt! I'm going to imagine, having had some experience in NYC subways (2 decades), that a reason might be that authorities figure trains would barely ever be able to leave the station. There will ALWAYS be somebody who runs up to the doors at the very last second, or who feels he is the exception that must be accommodated and waited upon.

With elevators, even if a few folks run up at the last moments, they can be accommodated and the car shortly takes off on its journey. However, with trains, the number of doors is likely a factor, too, inviting a whole lot of people to arrive by happenstance, late, perhaps to no fault of their own necessarily, but , nonetheless, seconds late. And then there could always be another person just behind the seconds-late person who now feels he has to be accommodated. There are a great number of people rushing around a city like New York, and hundreds of thousands of them enter and exit the subways every minute of the day. Having doors wait or re-open to accommodate all the possibilities for heads, arms, legs, and chests getting caught would be endless, it would seem to me.

That's all my guess for why those doors don't have what you suggested as a built-in safety feature.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am

There will ALWAYS be somebody who .......................feels he is the exception that must be accommodated and waited upon.

Combine that with the apparent belief and acceptance that all things are not my responsibility and it's some one else's fault and you have our self-entitlement society........oh look, a squirrel.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Combine that with the apparent belief and acceptance that all things are not my responsibility and it's some one else's fault and you have our self-entitlement society........oh look, a squirrel.

Kind of sounds like the liberal agenda in this country. However I am sure there are many Cons that feel that way also. :wink: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 am

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Kind of sounds like the liberal agenda in this country. However I am sure there are many Cons that feel that way also. :wink: :mrgreen:

Actually, it's sadly the overwhelming gross majority of people.....and you just looked to blame liberals, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

very few are willing to stand up and accept responsibility and actually do anything other than complain and blame others. Most of the threads here have deteriorated to pointing, complaining of others, and blaming others. No one, including myself seems willing to find a viable executable solution to very much at all. Few are willing to make the sacrifices that are probably needed either. We all want what we are entitled to these days and that's not exclusively young folks or old. But we all seem fast on the point and blame....

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 am

In my observation, and that is only based on what I have seen on the news on TV :roll: , there seems to be an ilk of certain young men who absolutely will not stop when ordered to do so by police. They would rather cocky-walk, cake-walk away, or do little dances, and simply not comply. Then, they seem to wonder, as do some communities, why they get treated as the enemny, or at the very least, as beligerents.

Why is that?

For example, if I were ever stopped for any reason whatsoever by police, my first impulse would be to co-operate and further ask how I could be more compliant and helpful.

I can offer two examples of that:
1. While traveling south on Rt81, in Upstate NY, several years ago, I noticed a warning being flashed and sounded on my new (it was 2004-ish) BMW's dashboard which announced that I was having a flat tire. The car was urgent about having me pull over. However, on that particular stretch of the roadway, it was uphill and on a sharp curve, with its shoulder barely visible to traffic behind me, so when I reached the top of the hill, I saw a "For Emergency Use Only" dirt lane that stretched between the north and south lanes. So, I pulled in there to assess my predicament. I got out of the car and examined each wheel. I saw no deflating.

Just then, a NY State Trooper saw my car and came into the little roadway, so I walked toward his vehicle and waved hello. He got out and told me to stop walking toward him and mentioned that the roadway was for "emergencies." I told him it was an emergency and invited him to get into my car to see what the dashboard had been signaling to me. He got into the driver's seat, which I thought was very trusting of him since it left me standing above him on the outside of the car. He saw the warning on the dashboard and seemed to believe my explanation that the car was new to me, resulting in my being unsure about what to do.

He invited me to travel downhill to the parallel Rt.11 to a friend of his who had an automotive repair shop, and he called the friend ahead to tell him I was coming. I felt treated exceptionally well by that very pleasant trooper.

2. One New Year's Eve, my wife and I were traveling back from a party. We had both been drinking champagne a couple hours earlier, and she was a little "buzzed", but we were only a sort distance from home. We presented quite the partying picture, I suppose: I was wearing black-tie, and my wife was nestled into her full-length mink coat, open at the torso, and black sequined gown, in the front seat, and looked a million. A "Check-point" (I think that's what they are called) had been set up across the entire road. We were fourth in-line. I felt the impending examination would be exciting, something different for us to experience. So, when we pulled up next to the officer in-charge, I asked if he would like us to get out of the car. He said that we need not bother and motioned us to drive past the check point and to have a nice day. However, I offered that I was happy to be stopped and that I thought it was a good idea to have such a check-point on such a day. He laughed and said, "Go home, now." We smiled and wished him a safe and happy New Year.

Frankly, when I see police, anywhere, I feel good. I often wave in respect if I am walking my 2-mi , for example. They wave back.

It would never occur to me to run away or refuse to obey an order.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:In my observation, and that is only based on what I have seen on the news on TV :roll: , there seems to be an ilk of certain young men who absolutely will not stop when ordered to do so by police. They would rather cocky-walk, cake-walk away, or do little dances, and simply not comply. Then, they seem to wonder, as do some communities, why they get treated as the enemny, or at the very least, as beligerents.

Why is that?

It would never occur to me to run away or refuse to obey an order.

I don't know why, but find it interesting that the Apostle Paul wrote about such behavior. In his second letter to Timothy (written around 62 and 64 C.E) he wrote:

2 Timothy 3:1-5
3 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”