"From Another Time" article on DailyKos

Play nice and have fun...
Chris Webster

"From Another Time" article on DailyKos

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 pm

A poster on Railway Preservation News (RYPN.org) linked to this interesting article on liberal politics site DailyKos about a Lionel No. 2055 the author purchased on eBay: Daily Kos - From Another Time

The author describes the efforts it took to get the locomotive, how fascinating it is, and then concludes with this paragraph:
Now maybe you’re not into model trains, but consider this. If you walked into a store today, how much of what you see for sale could reasonably be expected to still be working 60 years later? How much of it could be repaired if it broke — and could you find someone to repair it and the parts as well? How much of it could still work in the world 60 years from now? That engine of mine will operate on the track and systems now available today. It’s something to think about in a world where so much is ‘disposable’, as is the fact that Lionel Trains is still around when so many companies have disappeared.

rogruth

Re: "From Another Time" article on DailyKos

Postby rogruth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:55 am

More stories like that in local newspapers and on local TV might help this hobby.
We have one train show a year in this area. One of the five local stations sometimes
will make an appearance usually on Sunday and run their piece on the evening news
after the show is over. They are always amazed that "people still play with trains".
My guess is that the operators of the show, local people, do not inform the TV
stations about the show. The local newspaper will have ads but I don't know if
they ever do an article about it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”