In Tribute to Gregg Allman

Play nice and have fun...
E7

In Tribute to Gregg Allman

Postby E7 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Re: In Tribute to Gregg Allman

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat May 27, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm No Angel was one of my wife's favorite songs.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 pm

I'm partial to Midnight Rider, and some other early tunes.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 am

Was never a fan of his solo work or much that he did at all after the Allman Brothers Band dissolved.....not much of a fan of the Allman Brothers Band, i.e., never bought any of their recordings, but it was good music that set the stage for a lot of other bands to follow after they broke through.....

I guess I thought he was a lot older, but he put a lot of mileage on his body.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 am

He had been diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1999 and underwent a liver transplant in 2010.

Cher and Allman were married from 1975 to 1979. Together, they have a son, Elijah, who was born in 1976.

The two collaborated on an album, Two the Hard Way, which was released under the name "Allman and Woman" in 1977 by Warner Bros.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 am

I can't stand Sher, I didn't know they were married. The beginning of Stormy Monday in particular is the ultimate in Blues.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm

"Eat a Peach" was maybe the best album the Allman Bros Bank put out. Very leading edge country rock at the time. I think they were one of the first bands to use more than one lead guitar. But, no one did it like the Eagles.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 29, 2017 2:25 pm

up148 wrote:"Eat a Peach" was maybe the best album the Allman Bros Bank put out. Very leading edge country rock at the time. I think they were one of the first bands to use more than one lead guitar. But, no one did it like the Eagles.

Eat a Peach was rather good indeed.

Might consider twin harmony lead guitar duo from Wishbone Ash.......as one of the 1st.

The Eagles were like watching the professional golf or baseball - instant nap time, :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:"Eat a Peach" was maybe the best album the Allman Bros Bank put out. Very leading edge country rock at the time. I think they were one of the first bands to use more than one lead guitar. But, no one did it like the Eagles.

Eat a Peach was rather good indeed.

Might consider twin harmony lead guitar duo from Wishbone Ash.......as one of the 1st.

The Eagles were like watching the professional golf or baseball - instant nap time, :mrgreen:

Never really watched the Eagles, just liked some of their songs and when their twin harmony lead guitars (I like that phrase) would almost go sonic it was a joy. They had some great songs that just made you smile and feel good. I like the solo album of Don Henley's (Building the Perfect Beast) which had some good driving songs, most put me in the party mood. Frey had some good individual efforts as well. But, so many from that era were talented and inventive. Almost too many to absorb.

But, I like Jethro Tull and many Uriah Heep songs so what do I know and can blame a UH concert experience for some of my hard of hearing. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Never heard Wishbone Ash to my knowledge. My loss.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 pm

up148 wrote:.....and many Uriah Heep songs so what do I know ........

A version of UH still exists and continues on.....

Also continues on............

up148

Postby up148 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:.....and many Uriah Heep songs so what do I know ........

A version of UH still exists and continues on.....

Also continues on............

I'll have to look them up.

BH

up148

Postby up148 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm

I have no idea how I missed Wishbone Ash. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You got me interested in twin harmonizing leads and found some very interesting information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"What of the other forgotten UK instrumental groups: Shane Fenton's Fentones (1 hit wonders - with Riders In The Sky?????), Billy Fury's Tornados (pre-Telstar)?? or Billy Kramer's group? Wasn't the early 60's hit Sleepwalk by Santo & Johnny, dual lead?"

I remember most of these groups (not Fentones) as I really got into music in the early 60's at 12-13 years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
From an interview with Laurie Wisefield of Wishbone Ash:

Where did the dual guitar sound originate?

Laurie: A long time ago before I was with Wishbone Ash I played with a band called Home, who did a couple of albums and then split. Home did a lot of touring with Wishbone in those days and both bands were using the twin lead guitar sound, so I’d definitely say that Home and Wishbone Ash were the first. There are several bands using the twin lead guitar sound now but I shan’t mention any names.

Addendum: that was around 1973, so I'd say Fleetwood Mac were one of the pioneers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Fleetwood Mac (1967), Allman Bros.(1969), Wishbone Ash (1970) all came in as pioneers of this style of twin harmonizing lead guitars.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 30, 2017 2:55 pm

up148 wrote:Fleetwood Mac (1967), Allman Bros.(1969), Wishbone Ash (1970) all came in as pioneers of this style of twin harmonizing lead guitars.

But then Judas Priest (1969!) turned up the volume with twin lead guitars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzutIb6p6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXToYkkSg9M

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 pm

how about the original yardbirds?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 am

robert. wrote:how about the original yardbirds?

Original with Clapton, or then with Beck, or then with Beck and Page on bass, or the year or so with Beck and Page on lead, or with Page? That year or so of Beck and Page was the only twin lead period and not a lot of material was produced........before Beck dropped out.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”