Laser Printers???

Play nice and have fun...
Seaboard Air Line Fan

Laser Printers???

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:37 pm

A buddy of mine is my goto computer guru. He's probably got 7 homebuilt computers plus a few off the shelf models.

Anyway, he gives me his "old" laser printer and says there's several hundred pages worth of ink still in the cartridge, but after printing maybe a dozen pages I have to shake the cartridge to get it so I can read it.

As a lot of you know, the cartridge (black) for a laser printer these days is usually a bit more than a new printer, or close to it.

Being he gave me this printer (and it works fine) should I buy a new cartridge or do what most folks seem to be doing and buy a new printer?

New printers come with cartridges that are not full, that's the only good point about buying the cartridge vice a new printer.

I discussed this with him and I know what he would do (buy a new printer), but what would you guys do?

I have an Epson Workforce WF-2760 which prints black and color, I thought I'd save on wear and tear on that by using the laser printer for black only stuff.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Laser Printers???

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Not refillable?

Available at what cost?

Available on eBay?

What number cartridge?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Not refillable?

Yes, but you have to have a Masters to get it open from what I saw on the Youtube video!

Available at what cost?

Toner cartridge is anywhere from $21 (refurb) to almost $100 (new), depending on where you buy it.

Available on eBay?

Seen it on Amazon, not sure about Ebay but will look.

What number cartridge?

The printer is a Samsung ML-2510, the cartridge is a ML-2010D3.

Some of the reviews I've read about refurb cartridges lead me to think that's not the best way to go, but it most likely depends on where you get them too.
BobD aka Drifty

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:15 pm

BobD aka Drifty

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm

I have had 50-50 results with ebay. half are good. half not. All the sellers i have used made good with replacements. free of shipping charges. most of my problems came from refilled cartridges. My printer reads them as empty. I have bought cheap out dated ones that worked fine. All from ebay and never the same seller.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:06 pm

I saw in the tv news that some entity (Russia) 3D-printed an entire house, including foundation.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I saw in the tv news that some entity (Russia) 3D-printed an entire house, including foundation.

Are you going to buy an Apis Cor printer Murph? Maybe it could print new mountains on your layout. :D
Reference: https://youtu.be/xktwDfasPGQ
For the metric challenged: 38 square meter = 409 square foot.
Last edited by webenda on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 am

I got the one I mentioned above off Ebay, should get it early next week. It's got a 1 year warranty and for $14 it was a no-brainer.

The only issue I have with my other (Epson) printer is that if a color runs out, you can't use black until you put in a new color cartridge. I think most printers are like that. It's the "razor/razorblades" thing all over again!

With the price of printers so low they ought to make the toner cartridge a non-replaceable item, built and sealed into the printer, may even be cheaper in the long run.
BobD aka Drifty

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:36 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:I got the one I mentioned above off Ebay, should get it early next week. It's got a 1 year warranty and for $14 it was a no-brainer.

Hope it works for you!

The only issue I have with my other (Epson) printer is that if a color runs out, you can't use black until you put in a new color cartridge. I think most printers are like that. It's the "razor/razorblades" thing all over again!

Newer printers are like that - eventually they force a new cartridge install.

With the price of printers so low they ought to make the toner cartridge a non-replaceable item, built and sealed into the printer, may even be cheaper in the long run.

HP discontinues a printer about every 2 weeks or so and then brings out a new one while selling cartridges for all the old ones at increasing prices. Once you are hooked on a printer, then they sell you cartridges until the printer dies usually leaving you with a few unopened cartridges while they have your money.

I'm still using an HP 960c that just keeps going...............while my HP all-in-one when totally psychotic and is now just a scanner.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”