Blue Coal and All Scale Rails Magazine

Play nice and have fun...
webenda

Re: Blue Coal and All Scale Rails Magazine

Postby webenda » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:How big a box was this in and what was the shipping origin state?

5.0 x 7.5 x 14.5 inches, from Lebanon, Pennsylvania. He used "Click-N-Ship", Priority 2-day and tracking.
Attachments
Package routing history.jpg
Package routing history.jpg (129.49 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

Should anyone want more fuel for complaining, check out the original sale price for this Blue Coal Hopper. :wink:
Attachments
4999.jpg
4999.jpg (178.77 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 am

webenda wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:How big a box was this in and what was the shipping origin state?

5.0 x 7.5 x 14.5 inches, from Lebanon, Pennsylvania. He used "Click-N-Ship", Priority 2-day and tracking.

Might have been a Shoe Box box then, so very perplexing. Priority is 1-3 days and tracking is included, not extra, and insured up to $50 is also included. More insurance added? Something bumped this up a bit.

BTW, still a shiny thing, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

webenda wrote:The guy asking $99.99 with free shipping included paper work, packaging, overhead, etc. costs in the asking price.

And I stand by my statement that a C Note for this car is too high, I think you got a good deal on it except for the shipping. I use a post office plug in and in only looks at weight and distance, even though the USPS looks at dimensions also. I finally just bumped the shipping by a couple bucks across the board to cover everything else, I keep track of all costs associated with the shipping, and keep track of how much comes in associated with shipping, and the spreadsheet says I only lose about $150.00 a month on shipping and handling. I figure that's fair, once in a while, I will refund someone if the offset seems too high. For example, a customer in Quebec bought a couple of transfers and the plug-in charged him US$14.00 and change, the post office charged about US$5.00 for the envelope. I refunded him $US8.00.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I usually use the Priority Mail shoe box boxes (delivered to your porch for free!) that apparently very few people are aware of existing.

I won't use them anymore, I don't think they have adequate burst strength for the job as the only damaged shipments I have had in the last five years (two of them) were both in free Priority Boxes. I miked the free boxes and the boxes from U-line that I ship in, the difference was notable.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I usually use the Priority Mail shoe box boxes (delivered to your porch for free!) that apparently very few people are aware of existing.

I won't use them anymore, I don't think they have adequate burst strength for the job as the only damaged shipments I have had in the last five years (two of them) were both in free Priority Boxes. I miked the free boxes and the boxes from U-line that I ship in, the difference was notable.

Oh, I don't use the Priority Mail shoe box boxes by themselves!!! I always double box rolling stock and engines with packing between the 2 boxes.

The car inside that box is inside its own shipping box from ULine with more packing materials - I buy the 4x4x12" ones by the pack of 50, :wink:

I also use a rather generous amount of stranded packing tape over every joint. I have gotten the occasional complaint about unpacking difficulty at the receiving end, but as long at the item is not broken then I'll take that complaint.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:I will refund someone if the offset seems too high. For example, a customer in Quebec bought a couple of transfers and the plug-in charged him US$14.00 and change, the post office charged about US$5.00 for the envelope. I refunded him $US8.00.

Hmmm...
Plug in charged US$14.00 and change
Post office charged US$5.00 for the envelope
Overcharge: 9.00 USD and change

I refunded him $US8.00.

That makes cents. You needed to be paid $1 and change for the trouble of refunding the overcharge. :wink:
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:t.

BTW, still a shiny thing, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angry emoticon.jpg
Angry emoticon.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 4196 times

robert. wrote:You should have questioned the seller about shipping price before you bought it. If you bought through ebay the may return some excessive shipping fees.

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:$26 for shipping? :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Even $17 is a lot!

I know that eBay permits some room for handling and such, but that seems excessive.

Yes, I'd complain back to the seller - individual or company/dealer/shop?

webenda wrote:At the risk of the seller calling me "stupid" I asked the question to satisfy certain individuals who think preparing the package for shipping should be free. (And curiosity to see if I will get a polite response.)

He did not call me stupid--simply refunded the difference.

Took care of this.jpg
Took care of this.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 4196 times

PayPalRefund.jpg
PayPalRefund.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 4196 times

Plug in charged $26.10
Post office charged $17.15
Overcharge: $8.95 USD and change

Seller refunded $8.95 within a few hours of my question concerning this.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”