"...What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Play nice and have fun...
up148

Re: "...What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Postby up148 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Nobody mentioned a dish popular among Polish and Hungarian people; at least, it was during the 50s & 60s when I was growing up in Pittsburgh:
"Pigs in a Blanket" also known as "Stuffed Cabbage" which was cooked for quite some time in a large pot which also contained sauerkraut. YUM! :D

Another popular dish related to Pigs in a Blanket was having a large pot of sauerkraut with a large Pork roast nestled in it, and freshly homemade dumplings atop, getting a fragrance bath and cooking to perfection. Yum again! :D

Am I alone with this delicious memory?
da Murph

Yes & no. Our version of stuffed cabbage actually involved cabbage leaves bundled together and then stuffed with meat. Pigs in a blanket was something very different - sausages wrapped in biscuit dough and baked. ..
...The one family dish that I could not appreciate was Hog Maw - a cleaned pig's stomach, traditionally stuffed with cubed potatoes, sausage, cabbage, onions, and spices roasted in the oven.

What you described as "our version of stuffed cabbage" was exactly ours, too. Cabbage leaves were kind of rolled and tucked around ground meat (beef and pork or beef or pork?) combined with a bit of rice, then snuggled into a pot of sauerkraut for further cooking on the stovetop.
That other version, w/ the sausage, I never heard of. And Hog Maw was unknown to me as well. :)

Cabbage Rolls was what we called them as we got older, but parents called them "pigs in a blanket" when I was small. Wasn't until I met my wife and she expected breakfast, not dinner, that the difference became apparent to me. Her's was pancakes wrapped around link sausages.

Love cabbage rolls. Boil the cabbage head a little so the leaves were more flexible and then fill them with ground beef/pork or both, mixed and rice. Stick a toothpick in each to hold it all together, place in a large pot and cover with tomato sauce seasoned with goodies. Years ago we saw Martha Stewart make it polish style and she would stir in some sour cream just before bringing it to the table....really good addition.

My dad would make a big pot of scrapple and it was hard to wait for it to solidify into loafs in the refrigerator. And once ready it didn't last more than one day. Wonderful stuff.

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Nobody mentioned a dish popular among Polish and Hungarian people; at least, it was during the 50s & 60s when I was growing up in Pittsburgh:
"Pigs in a Blanket" also known as "Stuffed Cabbage" which was cooked for quite some time in a large pot which also contained sauerkraut. YUM! :D

Another popular dish related to Pigs in a Blanket was having a large pot of sauerkraut with a large Pork roast nestled in it, and freshly homemade dumplings atop, getting a fragrance bath and cooking to perfection. Yum again! :D

Am I alone with this delicious memory?
da Murph

Yes & no. Our version of stuffed cabbage actually involved cabbage leaves bundled together and then stuffed with meat. Pigs in a blanket was something very different - sausages wrapped in biscuit dough and baked. ..
...The one family dish that I could not appreciate was Hog Maw - a cleaned pig's stomach, traditionally stuffed with cubed potatoes, sausage, cabbage, onions, and spices roasted in the oven.

What you described as "our version of stuffed cabbage" was exactly ours, too. Cabbage leaves were kind of rolled and tucked around ground meat (beef and pork or beef or pork?) combined with a bit of rice, then snuggled into a pot of sauerkraut for further cooking on the stovetop.

Ours never had the pot of sauerkraut --- seems like a lot of cabbage, :wink:

That other version, w/ the sausage, I never heard of.

Something my mother used to make.... :)

And Hog Maw was unknown to me as well. :)

Something my one grandmother would make....and it was on the menu at the local restaurant.....and I wish it was unknown to me as well. :roll:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:44 am

up148 wrote: ......scrapple..........

Once a staple in my youth and in the valley - "Pawnhoss" ---> Pannhaas - I and the kids eat it; my better half - not happening!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:29 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Once a staple in my youth and in the valley - "Pawnhoss" ---> Pannhaas - I and the kids eat it; my better half - not happening!

Wasn't until I read some train threads about York, that I realized it was eaten on bread like a sandwich. It was always sliced and fried at my house and then served as a breakfast meal (regardless of the time of day). Slather on some homemade apple butter and the combination of the salt (and other strong flavors) in the scrapple with the sweetness of the applebutter was to die for. Still love it, but haven't had any in many years. :( :(

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Wasn't until I read some train threads about York, that I realized it was eaten on bread like a sandwich. It was always sliced and fried at my house and then served as a breakfast meal (regardless of the time of day). Slather on some homemade apple butter and the combination of the salt (and other strong flavors) in the scrapple with the sweetness of the applebutter was to die for. Still love it, but haven't had any in many years.

We never ate it on bread - it's already a lot of corn meal - York threads :roll:

We did same as you - sliced and fried in butter. Maple syrup!

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

Golapki = stuffed cabbage.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:The capacity to enjoy a bit of some nice Wensleydale with some crackers and a nice cup of tea is a hallmark of civilization.

A Stilton man myself...tastes great and an excellent way to clear the kitchen when you pry open the crock :D

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 am

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:The capacity to enjoy a bit of some nice Wensleydale with some crackers and a nice cup of tea is a hallmark of civilization.

A Stilton man myself...tastes great and an excellent way to clear the kitchen when you pry open the crock :D

Can you get good unpasteurized Stilton in this country?

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am

Not sure...I get my stash from a former associate that visits from the UK every six months or so. Don't know if that's pasteurized or not...I'll have to check next time. An acquired taste, it is one of life's pleasures.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am

healey36 wrote:Not sure...I get my stash from a former associate that visits from the UK every six months or so. Don't know if that's pasteurized or not...I'll have to check next time. An acquired taste, it is one of life's pleasures.

I will when in need get some of the painfully expensive Stilton from Whole Foods and then ration it to myself. :roll:

A block of smoked Maytag Blue though will tie me over though, :wink: :wink:

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 am

Back in our Penna days my bride fixed scrapple frequently and our children learned to eat it vs. going hungry.
One breakfast treat was liver pudding over buckwheat pancakes. You usually had to go to a farmers' market for the liver pudding, but, oh my, what a savory spread.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 am

rex desilets wrote:Back in our Penna days my bride fixed scrapple frequently and our children learned to eat it vs. going hungry.
One breakfast treat was liver pudding over buckwheat pancakes. You usually had to go to a farmers' market for the liver pudding, but, oh my, what a savory spread.

Rex - Is liver pudding and liverwurst the same thing? I've eaten way more than my share of the latter. Also chopped liver...

Fried liver and onions, on the other hand, repulses me...

Healey

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:Not sure...I get my stash from a former associate that visits from the UK every six months or so. Don't know if that's pasteurized or not...I'll have to check next time. An acquired taste, it is one of life's pleasures.

I will when in need get some of the painfully expensive Stilton from Whole Foods and then ration it to myself. :roll:

A block of smoked Maytag Blue though will tie me over though, :wink: :wink:

Getting any cheese, or dairy for that matter, in its raw form is nearly impossible.

Good smoked gouda is also a weakness...

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am

healey36 wrote:
rex desilets wrote:Back in our Penna days my bride fixed scrapple frequently and our children learned to eat it vs. going hungry.

Rex - Is liver pudding and liverwurst the same thing? I've eaten way more than my share of the latter. Also chopped liver...

Healey

That's a whole lot of cholesterol, any way you chop it or present it and no matter what you call it. That stuff is deadly. No kidding. Call it "Pate' De Foie Gras," if you wanna, just to be Frenchie-fancy, and it's still a killer.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
healey36 wrote:

Healey

That's a whole lot of cholesterol, any way your chop it or present it and no matter what you call it. That stuff is deadly. No kidding. Call it "Pate' De Foie Gras," if you wanna, just to be Frenchie-fancy, and it's still a killer.

Not quite the same thing - usually fried liver is beef/calves' liver - foie gras generally refers to duck or goose liver. Quite different in taste and texture dependent on preparation. Cholesterol is another issue entirely - work/walk it off and eat in moderation.

Chicken livers fried with onions was a staple in my parent's house.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”