Tractor Thread

Play nice and have fun...
The Dirt

Tractor Thread

Postby The Dirt » Sun May 24, 2015 11:56 am

I'm sure this will play to *groans*, but I was sad when the original "Dirt, Hev, it's the tractor thread!" disappeared in the 'Friday Night Massacre'. As Tramp said, '... a shame. It feels like Hev is another degree removed...'. And yes, he had contributed a lot of wit and homespun wisdom over it's life, and I would have saved it had I the chance.

And I likely won't have enough stuff to keep this thread alive, but it's a beautiful gorgeous May Sunday, the eve of Memorial Day, and I've been out on my tractor getting some Farmall therapy while cutting my fields, and while I ride mesmerized by the motor's thrum and the tractor's sway, smell the cut timothy and clover, watch the wild pastoral world unfold before me, see fierce blackbirds (a third the size but twice the speed) divebomb hapless crows who wander too close to their territory, warm sun on my back and wind ruffling my hair and setting the grasses to seething, and riding this rolling antique iron, I never fail to get to thinking of the Hevman. So this thread will garner some interest, or it will not and will move on like all things must in Life.

But today, I will remember him because, (as he so often said)... "It suits me".

My groundhog total topped out at 18. There's lots of scavengers out here we have spotted, feasting on the bounty, turkey vultures, a marsh hawk, a red-tailed hawk, and a rough-legged hawk, (not to mention the unseen ones in the night that drag off the bodies), but had a fun one a week ago- an immature bald eagle, not yet in his full adult coloration...

He's standing on the carcass. The vultures will not challenge him, nor will they challenge the hawks, likely because they are purely scavengers rather than hunters like the others. The comical thing was to watch him grab the carcass and try to fly off, resulting in his dragging it along the ground for a couple of yards. Typical judgment of an adolescent, thinking himself more capable than he is, but he ate for a long time, and though I did not see him take off, he may have had enough trouble just for the size of his belly.

(My apology for the fuzzy pictures. I replaced my favorite but dysfunctional Canon S2IS with a Canon SX50, which has been nothing but a huge disappointment in every which way. It will be shit-canned within the week.)

Saw something else while I was out criss-crossing the field... how 'bout it!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

And just because I'm remembering, you guys will forgive me for one picture for auld lang syne...

A thoughtful and peaceful Memorial Day to you all.

Mitch

Re: Tractor Thread

Postby Mitch » Sun May 24, 2015 2:01 pm

A very fitting tribute to our friend, Pete. Never met a person easier to get to know. The forum just ain't the same. Really miss his wit, humor, and Pennsy knowledge.

What's up with the new camera. I just have this little Cannon SX160IS and it seems to do well, but it's way too complicated for me. I still have trouble tryin' to view the shots I just took! :P Hey, $79 on Black Friday year before last. I think I got a deal compared to what I paid for my Cannon AE1 Program camera with 50MM lens, 28MM Wide Angle, and 70-210MM Zoom lenses, and power winder complete with case.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Tony-h

Postby Tony-h » Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 pm

There is a void in my life since Hev left us. I didn't know him as well as some of you who lived closer to him, but whenever he was around at R&T there was a sense of peace in the area. Going to R&T last year with that empty chair setting there just took all the fun out of the trip.

Pete, before you decide on another camera take a look at a Sony Cybershot. It may not have the Canon or Nikon aura about it but my DSC-HX200V sure takes beautiful pictures. 18.2 megapixels, digital image stabilization and only 30X zoom, but it will go out to 120X at reduced resolution. Also 1080P, I think, videos with stereo sound. Top rated a couple years ago. It is a little large for a pocket camera, unless you wear cargo pants. Google up the current ratings and see how well Sony is doing. BTW, it will do 3D with multiple shots and panoramic scenes too. Just set the magic dial to the "superior auto" mode and blast away! The camera makes all the decisions for you. Just like Mitch mentioned it has more features than you can shake a stick at if you take advantage of all the manual modes.

Tony

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Never met Hev face-to-face, but exchanged numerous e-mails with him...he was terrifically helpful to me researching the history and fate of the Taylor Manufacturing Company that started here in Westminster. He is sorely missed.

The camera I use most is a Nikon P5100, which lives in the world somewhere between a digital SLR and a point-and-shoot. It is the slowest camera I've ever used...not much use for action shots, but takes a decent pastoral or portrait:

I've been contemplating moving up the food-chain now that I have some time to actually learn how to use it, but have no idea what to get.

Healey

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun May 24, 2015 11:21 pm

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

The Dirt

Postby The Dirt » Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 am

Wayne, nice machine!
(even if it's green)

But these aren't groundhog holes, just thick clumps of grass. There's something in the picture.
I was wondering why no one was asking.

Tony-h

Postby Tony-h » Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 am

At the base of the upper grass clump.....A coiled rattlesnake? Naw. A Wittle brown Wabbit? Maybe. Too brown to be a meadow muffin!

Tony

The Dirt

Postby The Dirt » Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 am

You're in the ballpark, bro.

Slightly closer...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 25, 2015 10:05 am

Not a narwhal, but maybe a fox?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 am

A fawn!

"Oh see the little deer. Does the deer have a little doe?"

"Yeah! Two Bucks!"

(from the Three Stooges, of course!)
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

webenda

Postby webenda » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 am

The Dirt wrote:Wayne, nice machine!
(even if it's green)

But these aren't groundhog holes, just thick clumps of grass. There's something in the picture.
I was wondering why no one was asking.

Code: Select all

[img]http://home.epix.net/~runamuck/field1.jpg[/img]

My computer has not been able to see your images for several years. I can't even pick them up from your image hosting site anymore.
The computer says:
220 ftp.epix.net FTP server ready.
500 GET not understood
500 HOST: not understood
500 CONNECTION: not understood
500 ACCEPT: not understood
500 USER-AGENT: not understood
500 REFERER: not understood
500 ACCEPT-ENCODING: not understood
500 ACCEPT-LANGUAGE: not understood
500 Invalid command: try being more creative
421 Login timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection

Both I.E. and Chrome report the same result; however, sometimes they show up after a few days, at which time I can respond.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 25, 2015 11:21 am

sarge wrote:A fawn!

"Oh see the little deer. Does the deer have a little doe?"

"Yeah! Two Bucks!"

(from the Three Stooges, of course!)

Indeed.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

The Dirt

Postby The Dirt » Mon May 25, 2015 11:31 am

Sarge has it...

Does will hide their fawns during daylight hours, (less obvious to predators?), and by instinct, the fawns will lie as still as death, even to let someone walk right up to them and take a picture, for the entire length of the day. An amazing adaptation.

Sure enough, the mom knew exactly where it was, and it was gone the next morning.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon May 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Great picture!!!

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 am

I'm so glad you authored this new thread, Pete. And I am glad you included that photo of Hev and yourself. (I saved that one, too.)

The privilege of having been invited to join you guys at the "Tractor-pull" a few years back was a unique experience for me, as you well knew it would be. I am so glad I took advantage of the opportunity the times that I did. Times like that cannot be repeated.

Hev was unique. You are unique, and meeting Tony-H and Mitch at one of the "Pulls" was extra happiness added to a very enjoyable treat-of-a-day. I especially enjoyed Hev's calm way of approaching life - it seemed to me he was constantly measuring the worth of each experience and person that came into his purview, and that he was always considering all the options and each person's qualities as things progressed. I really liked him a whole lot - still do, in fact - and still cannot fully imagine the loss you have experienced in the loss of such a friend from your daily life. You continue to have my sincerest sympathy, as you are often in my thoughts. Especially dear friends - men who become authentic brothers, actually - like Hev and you, it seemed to me, do not come along often in life, do they.

I, too, was sorry to see the old tractor thread removed and am every glad to see this new one. If we do not hold onto a person's memory and do not do what we can to keep it present among us for at least as long as we keep company together, who shall do so?

Yes, the world constantly changes and time marches onward, but I believe our lives are enriched when we hold fast to those who have meant, and still do mean, something to us. I am not one to let go easily, especially not to someone who has mattered to me. It wasn't the amount of time I was able to spend in his company but the quality of the time spent, and that was largely due to your outreach of a friendly handshake and his bear-hug Hello when we first met in-person.
Murph the Frank

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”